Beryl Forums
Welcome to beryl forums, a place where you can relax!! Login or register!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Beryl Forums
Welcome to beryl forums, a place where you can relax!! Login or register!
Beryl Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

They Wait

Go down

They Wait Empty They Wait

Post by Katt Wed Sep 01 2010, 09:42

"Something isn't right, here", I thought. Everything was too quiet...

A KittKatt Production

I knew we'd have been given a hint by now. We were too close for them not to drop some sort of sign. Maybe they were smarter. Maybe they finally figured out how we were able to win the last few times.

What If We Aren't Alone?

But I should have known they'd evolve. I should have known all alone. They can't be stopped. They're smarter than we are...

They-Wait

Twelve years ago, the world suffered at the hands of the greatest series of back-to-back calamities it'd ever seen. Hurricanes, Earthquakes, Volcanic Eruptions, all back to back. Then the big shocker happened. Just when things started to pick back up, just when everyone was licking their wounds and recovering from the damages, there was a trouble like no other. Scientists warned that the reason for the back to back calamities was because the Earth's core was inbalanced. Inside there was something forming. The planet was literally devouring itself.

Some of the leading experts in matters of space came to a conclusion. We had less than a year before the planet's destruction. So the world's leaders decided that in times of global crisis, they'll have to stomach each other long enough to come to a solution. What was that solution? For decades the United States, Russia, and Japan had been utilizing space stations on the moon to mine a special rock from up there that a tiny segment of could power whole cities. The solution was to repurpose the space stations.

But of course the governments of the world have their secrets. These space stations, yeah they were mining the rocks. But they were also expanding. They had begun doing what many for years thought impossible. They were building cities on the moon. At first people didn't understand why they started in the first place. I still don't think anyone knows. I sure don't. But no one was worried about that for long. The calamities continued and only got worse. Naturally people got scared and eventually just moved to these places out of fear. I was only about six years old when my family went up there.

I was seven when we witnessed it. True to the words of the scientists, the world devoured itself. My family and I saw it from the window of our apartment. Yes, I said apartment. What's wrong, don't believe there can be an apartment on the moon? Well, like I said, they were building cities, not just stations. They created perimeters and inside each one was a city built just like back home. There was grass, water, oxygen, everything we had back home and then some.

One thing that haunted everyone, however, was this one question; "Why the Walls?" No one knew why each of these lunar cities were built within large walls. There was talk that there was something out there but no one believed it. The government said that it was just to keep foreigners from the "Reserves" of other Nations out. By all technical means, they were right. We were keeping foreigners away. They said that we'd be fine, that there was nothing to worry about. They lied.

The Government was able to keep their little white lie under wraps for all of that twelve years. But it was only a matter of time before they really screwed up. I always knew they were hiding something. I found out what, shortly after my nineteenth birthday. I worked at a local fast food restaurant. I had the night shift and had to take out the trash. When I took it out to dump it, I heard what sounded like a shriek. It came from a manhole. When I looked down into it, I saw a man run past like her has rushing to something.

Within the next week it'd begun to happen repeatedly. I figured that if anyone could tell me anything, it'd be my dad. He did know a lot about government opperations, being an officer and all. The visit was never a comfortable one. I often thought my own mother wished that she'd given birth to some extraordinary overachiever like herself. But that just wasn't the life for me. I wasn't anything special.

The instant I set foot in that house, I felt the chill running down my spine. I walked to my dad's study as fast as I could, in hopes of avoiding my mom. But I ran into her in the hall on the way. "Oh, hey mom, it's been a while", I said nervously. She knew I was trying to avoid her. It's the kind of person she is. She knows what someone's up to just by looking at them. I try to avoid eye contact with her because her eye are cold and cut a person with the simplest of glances.

"It's nice to see you too, Jill", she said coldly. She walked past me without hardly a glance in my direction as I proceeded to my dad's study.

I found him there reading an old book. "Dad," I said, a bead of sweat dropping down my forehead, "I need to ask you something."

"Is it about another one of your crazy theories about the government?" He asked, turning the page.

"Dad, this one is real. It's not a normal conspiracy theory, I know it's happening. Those walls are being used to keep something out other than foreigners. Earlier this week I heard these loud shrieks coming from the man hole near work. Whenever I look down there I see someone rushing to get to something."

"That's probably just some guys fixing the pipelines. They've been leaking all over the place lately", he argued.

"Explain the shrieking."

"Maybe the valves are rusting. You're thinking too much into this, Jill. As your father, I'm asking you to cool it."

I held my head down for disbelief that my own father didn't believe a word I was saying. Then I left. Later that night, I rode my motorcycle to the restaurant and went around back. I uncovered the manhole and went on down with a flashlight to look around. Once I reached the end of the tunnel I saw that the pipeline wasn't just blocked. It was completely sealed off. There was a large, metal door blocking the tunnel. I put my ear to it and knocked. From the other side I head a strange clicking sound and then what sounded like a shriek. "This is unreal", I said.

"No, this is all that is real", said a voice from behind me.

I jumped and turned the flashlight on them before realizing it was just a cop. "W-w-w-who are you?" I asked, shaking.

"If it's all the same to you, ma'am, I'll ask the questions." He held up an ID Scanner and took a picture of me with it then ran it through the database of registered citizens. "Wright, Jillian Anne, am I correct?" I nodded slowly, still a bit shaken.

Then he grabbed me by the arm and brought me with him. Every time I looked back at the door, he squeezed my arm tighter. We finally got back up top but we weren't at the police station. We were in some sort of warehouse. He dropped me on a circle on the floor and a forcefield shot up from the ground to keep me there. "What the heck, what are you doing?!"

"Hey, guys, we got another curious one!" He yelled.

Like that, ten more people showed up. They stared at me like I was some sort of deformed creature then started talking amongst themselves. When they finally stopped, the forcefield went away and I stood up. "Alright, what's going on?" I asked.

"You do realize that it's against the law to be in the sewers, Ms. Wright?" Asked the guy who brought me there in the first place.

"Yeah but I heard that noise and saw..." I began but then wouldn't let me finish speaking.

"You have one of two choices. You'll have to either accept a memory scan and deletion or you will join our team", said the only girl amongst them.

At first I was still too confused to answer properly to much of anything. But after thinking about it, I realized something. I'd seen a memory wipe being done before. It's what they used so we wouldn't need jail anymore. They cleared out criminal memory and planted new ones in their skulls. But it wasn't selective. If you take the mind wipe, all of your memory is flushed. I wasn't about to let that happen. "So what's more about this team option?" I asked, jokingly. But the next thing I knew, I was being tranqued and fell flat on the floor.

I woke up on some table, surrounded by old guys in lab coats. "This better not be heaven", I thought. When they saw that I'd waken up, they looked me dead in the eye and injected me with something, knocking me back out. I woke up again, floating in some tank filled with water, with no clothes. There were wires and things attached to me and then I saw them. Two men were standing at a control panel of some sort just across from the tank.

"Ah, this time it's good that you've awakened this time, Ms. Wright. It will give us the chance to test the new modifications", one of them said with a smile.

He did something behind that control panel and I was suddenly shocked by all of the wires. The pain was nearly unbearable. It felt like my entire body was just on fire. My teeth clenched, my eyes closed, everything just became suddenly stressed. I endured the pain best I could and opened one eye. The two clowns at the control panel were giving me a thumbs up. Then I blacked out. When I came to, I was lying down on a bed. "Where am I?" I thought.

I got up and looked around the room but no one was there. Looking in the mirror, I noticed that I was back in my clothes and didn't look any different. When I stepped out of the room, I saw all of those people I'd initially met. They looked like they were getting ready to go somewhere. But when they saw me, they all dropped what they were doing. "Hey, she's awake", said one of them.

"Thank you for pointing out something we very clearly can see for ourselves, Tank", said the girl

"Where the heck am I and what is going on?" I asked.

The guy who'd brought me there to begin with, stepped forward. "You're in the bunker for the government agency CYBER. We're the guys who deal with everything that goes bump in the night." He said. I looked around at everyone. It was so strange to see them all just staring at me.

"By the way, Jill, you mind if I call you that, you're at least an eight in my book. Call me", Tank said.

I couldn't figure out what he meant until I remembered floating in the tank. Then I smacked him. "PERVERT!" I yelled, holding my arm. The girl just laughed at him and held out her hand.

"Hey, anyone who can hit Tank that hard and actually make him flinch is okay in my book. The name's Regina. You'll grow to love it."

"Why is that?" I asked.

"Because I'll be getting you out of more jams that any of these jar heads put together", she responded confidently. "These guys behind me are Jason, Brodey, Warner, Scott, Leon, Ted, Barnes, Jake, you already know Adam, and I believe your hand there just met Tank's face."

"You owe me for that, by the way", Tank said, rubbing the red spot on his face.

"Please, boy, with a face like that? Now if you were real gorgeous, sure but, hombre, a face like that comes a dime a dozen", Regina said to him jokingly."

Adam decided to take it from there and step forth for himself. "As you just heard, I'm Adam. Sorry about being so rough before but we didn't know we'd have a new member then. Welcome to the Team", he said. Then he and the otehrs all walked away to who knows where.

I sat there for a minute in my own confusion then something clicked. "Wait a minute, I never said I'd join you!" I yelled. Things got quiet for a moment then I ran after then. "Hey, Hey get back here!"
Katt
Katt
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

They Wait 66i455
User Title : The Cat-Girl!
Money : 5089
Character : Misty

Character sheet
LV:
They Wait Left_bar_bleue1/1They Wait Empty_bar_bleue  (1/1)
HP:
They Wait Left_bar_bleue100/100They Wait Empty_bar_bleue  (100/100)
EXP:

http://shuinn.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

They Wait Empty Re: They Wait

Post by Katt Wed Sep 01 2010, 09:54

They Wait

I couldn't believe what was going on. It was already strange that I was somehow sucked into this whole team that's supposed to be fighting some sort of creature. But now I was up against the "In Your Face" Irony of having been unwillingly forced into a program created by the corrupt government. They already lied and told the public that they'd be perfectly safe. Now they're risking young lives to actually fight these things, whatever they were.

I had my first mission briefing the day after my initial induction. I was assigned to Tank and Regina's team, led by Adam. The week was just getting better and better. I reported to Adam with the others about two days later. Tank was the same perverted goliath I'd remembered and Regina was the same laid back girl. Adam was the same too. He was just as up tight as before. He approached me first since I was the newest. "So, are you getting used to the modifications?" He asked bluntly.

"If you're talking about the reinforced bones and extra hundred pounds that came with them then yes. If you mean the lack of a real need to breathe anymore then no."

"You've got a quick wit...Perfect. We desperately needed more of that", he said sarcastically, looking to Tank and Regina.

"Hey, be happy that's ALL they do you you, girl", Regina said.

I looked at her suspiciously then took a step away from her. "I'd appreciate it if you'd just not talk to me at the moment. I'm not in the best of moods right now." I said, looking down and crossing my arms.

"Hey, all I'm saying is, you're lucky they didn't also put you on the mega steroid like they did to Tank, here. But then again, you're a girl so you luckier they didn't pump you up with nanites like they did to me. You didn't give her the nanite treatment, right, Adam?"

"Yeah, right, Adam?" I asked.

"I don't know what you're talking about", he said, walking away.

Yeah, that moment sort of scared me. What scared me more was when Adam walked back in with a handful of weapons. He tossed Tank some sort of oversized machine gun and Regina got a grenade launcher. I got stuck with some kind of tiny gun that could fit in the palm of my hand. "This is a joke, right Adam?" I asked nervously.

"Let's get moving", he said, ignoring me and walking away with the others.

"Adam, this IS a joke, right? I'm going to at least get a normal handgun, right?" I said, following them.

We wound up in the underground tunnels shortly after. We had hand flashlights on our suits that helped us to see down there. That's when I noticed it. All throughout that tunnel was some kind of black sludge. I stepped in some and I swear it moved away like it was alive. We finally got to the door to seal the place off. "So, what's so dangerous about these things? Do they eat people or something?"

"No but they're extremely territorial. They don't seem to actually eat anything but they'll literally tear apart anything that gets in their territory."

I saw something move down one of the tunnels and caught up with everyone. Adam turned the wheel and sealed off the tunnel from there. "That's it? That's all there is to it?" I asked.

"I wish. We have two more tunnels to seal off."

The second Adam turned around, he was face to face with some hulking black creature with long, sharp fangs. It hissed in his face and swung its long, serpent like tongue. "W-w-w-what is that?" I whimpered, feeling my heart race. Regina and Tank stood perfectly still so I did my best to mimic them. The creature approached me and seemed to stare me dead in the eye.

"Hold perfectly still, Jill. They can only see based on motion."

I stayed as still as I could but a bead of sweat didn't have the same idea. The tunnel was blazing hot and we were all glistening but the stress was getting to me. A bead of sweat dropped down my face and hit the ground. As soon as it did, the beast gave a tremendously loud and ear piercing shriek. It got ready to rip me limb from limb when Adam shot it in the back. The behemoth turned to face him and picked him up by the throat.

Then something in me clicked. I held up my own got and shot the behemoth in the back again which seemed to severely injure it. When I shot it again, it just dropped to the ground. Regina popped a grenade out of the launcher and dropped it next to the creature before turning around. "Let's get to it", Tank said.

"Alright, team, we've got two more doors to seal and probably more of these things to get rid of. Let's get moving", Adam said, walking away.

As soon as we got around the bend, Regina hit a button on her launcher and the grenade we left back with that beast exploded. I looked back at the light then followed the others to the other doors. What in the world...what in the moon was I getting myself into? Whatever was going to happen, I had a bad feeling. The government might soon be paying for its deception of the people and the manipulation of their trust.

(To Be Continued...)
Katt
Katt
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

They Wait 66i455
User Title : The Cat-Girl!
Money : 5089
Character : Misty

Character sheet
LV:
HP:
They Wait Left_bar_bleue100/100They Wait Empty_bar_bleue  (100/100)
EXP:

http://shuinn.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum